Movie Reviews - Sivi, Katrathu Tamil, MalaiKottai, Cashback, You Kill Me, Lucky You, Breach, Hot Fuzz, Wild Hogs, I think I love my wife

Movie Reviews: The order of this list does not have any meaning. The only reason Sivi is Top of the list is because it's one of my nick names :)

Sivi

New Faces, an interesting story line and some extra-ordinary sound effects. I went in to this movie instead of Marudamalai for the sole reason that this movie had my nick name as it's title.

Only after some time did I realize that this movie is a Thriller. Apart from all the cat calls and the general movie histrionics that can be expected from a crowd that comes to a theatre like Sai Shanthi, this was a decent movie flick (Probably thanks to the only girl in the theater, who was also really good looking, who happened to sit right in front of me :D ). One can watch it once in the theatre just for the histrionics of the movie going crowd.

There were certain scenes which were really scary, though one would expect such a shocking scene, thanks to the background music, you still can’t be well prepared for it though. All round bad acting through out the movie thanks to the new comers. However the story and the way it was told (the screenplay) are really interesting at times. Not a bad watch after all.

November 13th 2007: Just came to know that the Music Director for this movie was a kid who's about 22 or something...Good score...Kudos...

Katrathu Tamil

What can one say about such a movie. The entire movie theatre was agog for the movie to end, right from the 10th or the 20th minute into it. That should sum it up for all. The only reason I agreed to watch this movie was because it starred Jeeva who happens to be the brother of one of my College mate Ramesh. Yes, he’s an actor too, though not a great one today. I’ll wish them both my best for the future. (Okay, I’ve lost touch with him, still I can brag one day that Ramesh, when he’s very popular that he drove me home on more than one occasion :D. Even now I am very sure of the verbiage I’ll use in Tamil when I say this story years into the future J )
I read somewhere that the Debutant Director had brought out the social inequalities prevailing in Tamil Nadu really well. To my knowledge the people I know who have studied Tamil Literature are really doing well because they derive satisfaction in what they do. They love teaching, doing research works on Tamil culture and relish spreading the beauty that is the Tamil language.

Yes it’s given that, not many people respect Tamil Scholars, however they do have their own place in our country and society. The literates revere them. For that matter, not everyone who works in IT or ITES / BPO or Call Center (as one character portrays a Call Center Agent role) earn 2 Lakhs or 40K per month. There are many who still are struggling to make ends meet.

I do not subscribe whole heartedly to the director’s message, not because I am from the IT/ITES industry that the Director is so vehemently against, however for the sole reason that he should have tried to bring it out in a different way. The feeling that I got and that spoke out to me after the movie was the feeling of jealously and hatred. Nothing more and nothing less.

I wonder why the Director chose this subject, when one who’s not even that successful in the film industry can earn in lakhs and crores. Probably 10% of the people working in Films will be able to live a lavish life while the rest 90% will be still making their ends meet. It’s prevalent in all walks of life. Lots of people in my industry do struggle to meet up with the Maslow’s Safety needs even after working their ass off for many years.

Total waste of money this, if you ask me. And I can hear some of my friends asking me after reading this post “Nejamathan solluriya da” (Watch this movie and you’ll understand the context of these words :D )

MalaiKottai

Totally unbelievable movie (the action is not at all believable). Action packed. Some really good and literally un-believable action scenes. The same old Vishal masala movie. I guess Vishal has learned to act a bit better than his earlier movies. How unfortunate the song’s in the movie has no relevance in the context of the story. You can watch it once just for fun and to me only that matters. Having fun for 2 to 3 hours while you are in a theater.

These are the movies I watched over the last couple of months. I want to keep a track of some of the not so famous Movies I watch. Therefore, posting them here. No time to review these at this time. Sorry.

Cashback

You Kill Me

Lucky You

Breach

Hot Fuzz

Wild Hogs

I think I love my wife

Fracture

Diwali Releases : 13th November 2007

Vel

Cast: Suriya, Suriya and Asin

Yep, Suriya in Dual role. Twins who get separated when they were babies. One grows up in the city while the other is bred in a village. Hari is the director of this one. The one who directed Saamy and Kovil. Madan, a movie critic when reviewing Kovil said this about Hari: “ It’s hard to belieive that the person who worshiped Saamy, has built this Kovil. ”

Vel is a masala movie which has some good moments thanks to Vadivelu and Suriya. Asin is under utilized in this one. I felt sad that Asin has also fallen into this category of Heroines. Guess no one can help, as the industry is like that. Her market will be there for 4 to 5 years and probably she needs to make the most of it while her beauty lasts J. Would have liked to seen her in a better role. Don’t think she has done her bit in any movie after Ghajini.

Polladhavan.

Cast: Dhanush.

Disclaimer: This review may be biased as I do not have a liking for Dhanush. Just for fact that his movies are not my cup of tea.

OMG. When I was waiting outside Albert Theater, Egmore, Chennai, India, I happen to notice one of the posters proclaiming Dhanush to be the “Bruce Lee of South India”. I had a laugh riot just reading it. Again a masala movie action packed. Don’t think I remember anything worthwhile in this movie though I watched it only about 4 days back. Music was boring, the action was kind off natural at times. The anti-hero character was good at times. The homosexual villain in Vettayadu Villayadu is the villain here. During the last action sequence me and one of my friends (a misguided soul) had an argument over the title “Bruce Lee of South India”. Don’t think it’s relevant here. However, it’s ok to watch these kind off movies during the opening week in a theater like Albert, where the crowd ain’t shy to dance in the aisles or to whistle throughout the intro song.

After reading the reviews I’ve written, I think I like the Theater experience more than the movies I watch. That sums it up.

Hopefully I’ll get around to posting this atleast today. Think I wrote the first 2 reviews back in October. 11th October to be precise. Am plain old lazy, guess I can’t help it.

Comments

sanchapanzo said…
neat article as always..
interesting that you mention maslow theory.. haven't heard about it till now and read about it .. thought it's riveting stuff.. how did you come across that ?

apparum.. evvalavu naal i used to think.. what is wrong with this guy.. when you watch drab tamil movies that too in theatre.. that too soon after release.. :-) now i know..

apparum.. me thought 'lucky you' was top class..
sanchapanzo said…
apparum.. write other movies that you have in a cd or dvd.. will collect it later..

:-)
sanchapanzo said…
ennada oru padamum parkalaya ?
G. Siva Shankar said…
No Santhosh, haven't got time to watch movies nowadays..plan to do so sometime this week, having my fingers crossed :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Horrifying Experience.....

Nothing is what it seems