Movie Reviews - Blood Diamond and Rocky Balboa

Blood Diamond

Starring: DiCaprio, Jennifer Connelly and the guy from Gladiator.

Amazing Movie. One movie I would really recommend to all of my friends. Though I am not a great fan of DiCaprio, this movie changes all that. After Departed, DiCaprio has given another solid performance. He’s simply outstanding in this movie.

The movie is about the Diamond Trade. How it affects the African country where the Diamond is mined. It shows how the lives of the people are affected, in a Diamond rich, under developed country, which is in turmoil. Sierra Leone is the place and this was kind off how it happened during the 70’s. The film depicts how people were forced to be slaves to mine the diamonds and how the diamonds got the name Blood Diamond. The Blood of the people are shed to satisfy the Western world’s glitterati.

One of the best movies I have seen in 2006. Departed was also a great movie for DiCaprio. He’s, I think, at his peak in these kind off roles. Apart from Connelly, DiCaprio will captivate you with his Accent and his acting skills.

Though DiCaprio steals the show, Djimon who plays the part of the Solomon, the fisherman who wants to rescue his son from the Rebels. I liked him in Gladiator and in this as well he plays his part. I thought he was a good choice for the part. There are some literally heart wrenching scenes in this movie, and Solomon is in the midst of it. When he plays the angry father or the loving husband or the angry fisherman, he fits in perfectly with the role.

Jennifer Connelly plays the part of the American Journalist. I thought she would be merely an eye candy, which she wasn’t. I didn’t like her in Hulk, but in this movie I was intrigued by her performance. I think that I should probably watch Dark Water just to check out what she’s capable of.

In the end, this is one helluva movie. Fast paced, great acting all around, good storyline etc. As said before this is a AMAZING movie.

Rocky Balboa

Starring: Sylvester Stallone

An old Balboa, trying to relive his Rocky days. I couldn’t help but compare this with Stallone’s personal life. Stallone to my knowledge has not acted as a lead for quite some time now. To my knowledge, Get Carter was the last movie he acted as a lead. He’s 60 years older (Yep, older and not old). I think Sly still maintains a good physique even at this age. My opinion is Stallone shouldn’t have reprised his role as Rocky. I believe he is going to reprise the role of Rambo as well. This movie isn’t that great nor is it bad. It’s total time pass; the movie zips away most of the times.

I think it shows mostly how things have changed over time and how yester year heroes are still liked by one and all. The movie also shows how Rocky’s life has changed and how his son can’t come out of his father’s shadow. My all time favorite Sly movie is Judge Dredd. One thing that made me fall in love with Judge Dredd was “I AM THE LAW” dialogue. Being Judge Joseph Dredd suited Stallone, like how being Terminator suited Arnold. Coming back to Rocky Balboa, the fight scene in the end was good however I could sense the eventual outcome of that. So it took the sting out of the whole movie. However, you can watch this once.

Comments

G. Siva Shankar said…
guess I already answered ur question in person :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Horrifying Experience.....

Nothing is what it seems